Re: [Debconf-sponsors-team] local sponsors for debconf bids

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Allison Randal <allison@lohutok.net> wrote:
> (I promised to send this email in the sponsors team meeting this week.)
>
> In the Cape Town bid meeting this Wednesday, we had a quick question
> about relating (or not) to the local sponsors we list in the bid. For
> the most part, we know it's fine to list them as potential sponsors, and
> not reach out to them at all. We figure it's also fine to ask around to
> other local contacts for suggestions on other sponsors we might list
> (along the lines of reaching out to organizers of other events in Cape
> Town or other ZA cities).
>
> We were less sure whether it would be okay to make initial contact
> directly with the potential sponsors. This came up because apparently
> it's quite common in ZA for large conference sponsors to close their
> budgets in Feb of the prior year (so they'd close applications for 2016
> events in Feb 2015). What do folks recommend? Is it okay to approach
> potential sponsors, making it very clear that this is just a *bid*, so
> that we can find out what their submission deadlines will be?

This is kind of a new request, so my thoughts are still forming, but as a
member of sponsors-team, I am not hugely opposed as long as it's
limited to strictly ZA-only sponsors.

That said, I think this should be run by chairs as it could have an impact
on the bid process if one of the bidding team comes into the process with
committed sponsors in hand, and the other bid teams are caught unawares.

-Brian