Re: Venues

Hi Bernelle (2014.09.02_17:58:11_+0200)
> Stias as a venue is growing on me

Yep, if we can get it, it's currently my favourite. Although, I am a
little concerned that it may be too small.

> I don't mind going on a site visit. My one concern is that I will be seeing
> things without much of a clue, having never attended a debconf before.
> May I ask that we get a quick overview of the teammates, who's in the
> country, where they are and what they can do time wise? I don't want to
> take charge if it is not welcome! :) Alternatively, give the OK and list
> site requirements for me please.

Yeah, it'd really help to have attended a DebConf. Of course there is
now a good excuse for some people to go to DebConf 15 :P

You probably want to talk to Jonathan Carter, he's been DebConfing
before. But he seems to have been busy, recently, and hasn't made it
into here, yet.

I'd imagine around 200 attendees. We'd want one talk room that can hold
everyone. One other talk room, holding significantly less (say 50), and
a couple of BoF rooms, maybe holding around 20 people.

Then enough hacklab space for everyone. This usually means long tables
and chairs, which can be fairly tightly packed. Some outside hacking
space is often nice, too.

Finally, a area that the front desk (nattie :P ) can occupy, and a
storage + server room. We usually have two or three servers, and need
gigabit connectivity to the talk rooms, so we usually run our own
cables.

The talk rooms should lock, so that we can leave video equipment in them
over-night.

> I was thinking we could rig up screens at the Neelsie
> <http://neelsiesa.co.za/> at Stellenbosch, if they're not there already,
> and simulcast the talks, then people can hack where they want to and still
> keep an eye on proceedings.

I don't think we've ever done that before. But hack labs should usually
be quiet, to allow hacking. People do occasionally watch the live video
streams from within the conference venue, but with headphones.

> Another venue I have briefly looked at in the self-contained summercamp
> vibe is the Crysalis Academy, but they seem too small -
> http://chrysalisacademy.org.za/hiring-our-facilities/

Interesting. They may not be too small, if there are other rooms not
described. I see accommodation for 150, which is probably enough.

Bandwidth may be non-existent, of course. But I'd imagine that we could
live with a wireless link, if absolutely necessary.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/