Re: Conference Format

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 09:38:51PM +0200, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> The conference is usually about 7 days long, with ~2 talk tracks, and ~2
> BoF tracks. The first day is "Debian Day", that has talks more aimed at
> the general community, than Debian contributors, and expects to get a
> large number of visitors from the local community.

I should add that lately "Debian Day" as such has been declining; I think
the last one we really had was 2011 (though I can't speak to 2012), where we
received all manner of government dignitaries.  2013 we had as our
public-facing event the 20th birthday party for Debian.  This year,
apparently, there are meant to be individual talks which are meant for a
more general non-technical audience.

Might it be worth discussing what kind of public-facing event we want, or
whether we would want to integrate the public-y things into the conference
proper?  (I'll chime in with my own opinion later, so as to not bias the
discussion beforehand.)

-Nattie, with her longish-timeish-orga hat at a rakish angle