[Debconf-announce] Are you ready for Debconf 10?

Debconf 10 is quickly approaching! This email is for those of you who
are coming to Debconf. It contains links to vital logistical
information, fun tips, and previews of the exciting things we have
planned.

Contents
--------

* front-desk / emergency phone
* what to bring
* once I arrive in the country, how do I get to the venue?
* check-in
* hacklab logistics
* exciting schedule highlights
* ad-hoc scheduling
* lightening talks!
* columbia debian mirror
* daytrip
* free things in the city

front-desk / emergency phone
----------------------------

Be sure to have this phone number written down, it is a free call from
any US phone, including payphones. If you are lost, or need help, it
will call the front-desk, or after hours it will wake someone up and
they will be confused, but still will try to help you: +1-888-882-2026

what to bring
-------------

Be sure to review the Debconf10 Welcome page[0], it has some important
venue information, and a list of things that you should be sure to
bring[1]

0. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Welcome
1. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Welcome#What_to_bring

once I arrive in the country, how do I get to the venue?

Once you land, you will need to make your way to the Columbia
University campus, where the DebConf10 venue is located. The travel
info page[2], has travel logistics from multiple different starting
locations to the Debconf10 venue. Make sure you are clear on how to
get here!

Note: if you are coming from Newark Liberty Airport (EWR), and are
taking the train into the city, you will be stopping at *Newark* Penn
Station, this stop is in New Jersey, it is *not* the right stop. You
want to get off at *New York* Penn Station, which is in New York. Its
a subtle difference, ask someone if you are not sure, people are
friendly and will help!

2. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/TravelInfo

check in info
-------------

Once you arrive at Columbia University, come to the Carman dormitory
to check in, drop off your stuff and then head north up campus to Mudd
for DebConf check-in.

hacklab information
-------------------

No eating or drinking in the hacklabs! Seriously, if people eat/drink
in the hacklab Debian will be responsible for a pretty large cleaning
fee, beyond what we are already paying. Help us save money by just
stepping outside to have your snack.

There are switches at every desk for wired networking, and wireless
available from both the 'Columbia University' wireless network (no
authentication), and supplemented by the 'debconf' wireless network
(password protected, ask your neighbor in the hacklab for the
password). The Columbia wireless is around campus, but is somewhat
limited in the spaces where we will be located, so we've supplemented
with our APs.

exciting schedule highlights
----------------------------

Have a look at the DebConf10 schedule[3], there are a lot of really
interesting things planned, both during Debian Day and DebConf
itself. We have a great line-up of speakers, and other events that are
sure to make this DebConf one to remember! A couple notable events
that we wanted to highlight:

3. http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule

Be sure to come to the DebConf Welcoming Plenary in the evening of
Debian Day. This opening plenary will be the first thing that kicks
off DebConf and will be brief, important, and fun. General information
about DebConf, important logistical bits, and prizes(!) will be
had. Also, this gives you a chance to ask some questions before we get
started. Be there at 7:30pm in Davis Auditorium on August 1st!

The much anticipated Cheese and Wine party will be happening in the
evening on the 2nd. This will be your chance to see what mixture of
fermented, cultured and alcoholic things your stomach can handle!

Also exciting to mention is Eben Moglen who will be speaking on the
3rd during DebConf at 9:30am about Freedom and Privacy in the Cloud
and how we (yes us!) here at DebConf, can be the silver lining. If you
don't know Eben Moglen, he is Professor of Law at Columbia Law
School[8] and founding Director of the Software Freedom Law
Center[9]. Since 1993 he has served pro bono publico as General
Counsel of the Free Software Foundation. Moglen was part of Philip
Zimmermann's defense team when Zimmermann was being investigated over
the export of PGP. As counsel to the FSF, Moglen was charged with
enforcing the GNU General Public License (GPL) and later became
heavily involved with drafting version 3 of the GPL.

8. http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/now
9. http://www.softwarefreedom.org

Also in the evening of the 3rd at 7:30pm we will be treated to not
only a screening of the brilliant film "Sita Sings the Blues"[4] in
Pupin 301, but also a Q&A afterwards with the acclaimed animator Nina
Paley! She will describe how the process of making this film caused
her to question the wisdom of copyright monopolies in the arts. The
film is under a Creative Commons ShareAlike license, and her
distribution mechanism is unique as Paley consciously adopted the
methods of the free software movement to distribute the film. The
discussion with the artist after the screening will explain in depth
how and why, and discuss what Paley and QuestionCopyright.org are
doing next to encourage more artists to try the Free route.

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5_zJ1xfQs

After the film, at 9:00PM the Columbia University Astronomy
Department[5] will host a guided stargazing event, which includes use
of several different optical telescopes on their roof. There will be
astronomers on hand to answer any questions about the stars,
telescopes, or any other topics of scientific interest.

5. http://www.astro.columbia.edu/

There are many talks that are going to be exciting at Debian Day, even
for Debian Developers! One track will be showcasing general Free
Software themes and issues, and many of these talks will be really
interesting to Debian Developers, so be sure to check out the schedule
and come[6].

6. http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/day_2010-08-01.en.html

On Debian Day we are excited to have the Honorable Gale Brewer[7]
speak at 4pm. She is part of the New York City Council and was the
former Chair of the Committee on Technology in Government, current
Chair on Committee on Governmental Operations and will discuss the
ways that government can foster freedom in technology. Its both
exciting and a privilege to have her speak at DebConf!

7. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gale_Brewer

ad-hoc scheduling
-----------------

If you have a good idea for a BoF, or talk that you want to do at
DebConf, but missed the deadline, you are welcome to schedule it via
the ad-hoc scheduling method[10], we have space for you and your
event!

10. http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100726.230411.de196edd.en.html
    http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/AdHocSessions

lightning talks
---------------

Do you want to be one of the 11 five minute talks? For a Lightning
Talk, you don't need slides, but if you make some you don't need many
because your talk will only be 5 minutes! It will be over quickly, so
don't get nervous!  Maybe you just want to raise an interesting
question, recruit people to your project, brag about something you
did, or show off some software; maybe you want to tell a story about
that time you were camping in the backyard of a meth lab and a goat
was being chased by ball lightening! There will be limited slots, so
sign up early by sending an email to micah@debian.org, include your
name and a brief description of your talk and we'll let you know.

Columbia Debian Mirror
----------------------

The Academic Technologies Group[11] at Columbia University has been
supporting free software by providing mirrors for various projects for
some time. In our preparations for DebConf, we contacted the Columbia
mirror admins about improving their mirror coverage for DebConf. Very
quickly they responded by upgrading the hardware, increasing the sync
frequency, and adding more architectures to the mirror.

The mirror is connected to a 10Gbps backbone, which is fanned out
throughout the CS department into the backbone at 1Gbps. Unfortunately,
the ports in the Carelton cafeteria hacklab are not wired for more than
100Mbit, but this should be sufficient.

Please consider using mirror.cc.columbia.edu for the duration of
DebConf, the following apt sources.list lines work

deb http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/debian/ <suite> main
deb-src http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/debian/ <suite> main

11. http://www.columbia.edu/acis/atg/

ongoing RC bug squashing contest during debconf

Did you hear? There is an on-going RC bug squashing contest[10]
happening during DebConf, at stake are some seriously awesome prizes,
fame, and glory.

10. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/RCBW

day trip
--------

This year, the day trip is going to be a blast, a crazy adventure at
the bizarre and fun Coney Island[11]! Explore the historic Russian
Brighton Beach! Ride the Cyclone rollercoaster, 82-years old this
year!  Swim in the ocean!  See the circus sideshow! Eat delicious food
or if unlucky, not so good food. Or do none of the above and just hang
out with your friends outside and have a good time.

At the end of the day we are going to go to a unique cultural event:
the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball game where we will have the chance to
watch our beloved DPL humiliate himself as he throws out the first
pitch, in his Debian kilt! Don't like baseball, or sports? Don't
worry, neither do we, but the point really isn't the baseball game,
the point is hanging out with all your closest Debian friends and
having a good laugh as Zack tries really hard not to trip, also a good
chance to experience some local culture and to relax after a hard day
at the beach.

11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSF8I2tDdy0

free things in the city

There are an amazing number of free events[12] happening in New York
City during the summer! If you are looking for something to do, we've
compiled a list of various events from a number of different locations
for you to easily view in one spot.

12. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/TouristActivities

Did you make it this far, without skimming? Are you excited about
DebConf10 now? We hope so, we've put a lot of work into putting this
thing together, and we hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

Looking forward to seeing you in NYC!