[Debconf-announce] Debian Tratan/Kilt in time for Debconf 10?

Hi Folks,

It occurs to me that there might well be people in the USA (and elsewhere)
who'd like to have a Debian Tartan Kilt, Skirt, or whatever, in time for
Debconf10 in NYC.

For those not already aware, as of Debconf7 (in Edinburgh, Scotland)
Debian has it's own official tartan:

  http://www.scottish-tartans-world-register.com/tartan.aspx?record=3256
  http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=5936

Which when made into a kilt looks like this:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/wouterverhelst/581894457/

Which, despite including the geek joke of spelling DEBIAN in morse code,
does actually look like a traditional tartan :-)

If you're thinking "I want one!", well you're in luck (as long as you
have a few hundred pounds/dollars/euros that are burning a hole in
your pocket).

Given that the price drops as more people get involved, I'll just give
you the worst case numbers, which are 350.00 GBP for a 6-yard machined
kilt, and 450.00 GBP for an 8-yard hand-sewn kilt.  With sufficient
numbers up to about 50 GBP might be shaved of that.  Those figures
include VAT at 17.5% (refundable on export) but do not include extras
like a sporran and other bits an pieces, which you might want to budget
for -- a sporran is the only thing you almost certainly need as well.

Hopefully that's enough for you to know if you're interested at all.
The exact numbers will become apparent when numbers settle down, and
there should be enough time to discuss the finer details.

For the ladies, there are pleated skirts, which come in considerably
cheaper.  Please have a look at the page from DebConf7 for some sort
of indication of prices for various bits:

  http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf7/Tartan#Prices

As you can see, prices have inflated a bit -- I think partly because
I covered the up-front costs, and was rather hard-nosed about the
cloth price.  On the other hand, the pound is now worth only slightly
more than a Zimbabwe Dollar, so these prices may actually be better than
last time when viewed from over the pond.

The currently suggested deal is that people that want a kilt made put
down a deposit of 150.00 or 200.00 GBP for machined or hand-sewn to get
the weavers weaving, and then pay the balance when the kilts are made.

If you're interested, please add your name to this table:

  http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf7/Tartan#Second_Order

and read the rest of the page to get a feel for what to expect.

If you get carried away, as I did, and end up with the full outfit
including jacket etc, you'll probably not get change out of 1000 GBP --
you have been warned.

Of course, the Sett (i.e. the thread counts for weaving) is available
for anyone that wants to weave it under the GPL, so if you don't like
these prices, you could always find your own.

I'm off skiing for a week, so make up your mind, add yourself to the
wiki if you want something, and I'll sort out more details in a week's
time.

Cheers, Phil.