[Debconf-announce] Registration for DebConf9 opened

Registration for DebConf9 opened
--------------------------------

Registration is now open for DebConf9, which will take place in Cáceres,
Extremadura from Friday 24 to Thursday 30 July 2009.

To register follow one of the processes outlined below:

- If you registered for last year's conference, DebConf8, go to
https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc9/person to login.

- If you didn't register for last year's conference you need an account in
the conference management system. To register one, go to
https://penta.debconf.org/penta/user and create an account. After visiting
the activation URL sent to you by email, go to
https://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/dc9/person and log in.

After you logged in
-------------------
After you successfully logged in, please fill in at least the 'General',
'Contact' and 'Travel' tabs reachable through the 'Registration details'
button on the bar on the left of the page. Please pay special attention to
the 'DebConf' and 'DebCamp' boxes on the 'General' tab. You need to select at
least the "I want to attend this conference" checkbox or your registration
won't be valid.

Note to users who have an account from last year: We did our best to make
sure you do not have to reenter all your personal data again, just the
conference-specific changes. But please check if it is all still valid.

Travel Sponsorship
------------------
We hope to obtain enough sponsorship to help some people attend who would not
be able to pay for their own travel. We intend to allocate travel sponsorship
money between April and June. We will make travel sponsorship reimbursements
as soon as possible, but unfortunately sometimes in the past it has only been
possible quite long after DebConf.

If you would like to apply for travel sponsorship, please fill in as much
information as you can on the registration pages. Even if you have not
arranged your travel when you apply for sponsorship, we need to know which
days you intend to spend at the conference.

The deadline for sponsorship applications is April 15th.

(This is also the case if you apply for accomodation and food sponsorship,
without travel sponsorship.)

DebCamp Attendance
------------------
DebCamp is a smaller, less formal event than the main conference, giving an
opportunity for group work on Debian projects. It will again be held in the
week before DebConf, from Thursday 16th until Thursday 23rd July. In an
effort to make DebCamp a little more organised we ask everyone who wants to
attend DebCamp to fill in an additional textfield describing their work plans
for the Camp.

Cost of attendance
------------------
As multiple attendees of past conferences suggested that we make it easy for
attendees to make a contribution towards the cost of their DebConf
attendance, we are again offering a way to do this.

As in the past the conference is free, and we will try our best to offer food
and accommodation sponsorship to everyone who registers before April 15th. We
also offer two additional registration options, "Professional" and
"Corporate". The Professional category, EUR 300.00, is meant for every
individual or company who want to help the conference by making a
contribution to reflect the cost of their attendance.  The Corporate
category, EUR 1000.00, is intended for companies who pay their employees'
attendance fees. If you register as a Corporate attendee, we will list your
company on a special page on the conference website.

We encourage everybody to help making DebConf a success by selecting the
Professional or Corporate registration category.

Attendees that register late (after April 15th) will need to pay at least the
Professional fee (EUR 300).

Looking forward to welcoming you to Cáceres in July, the DebConf team

About DebConf
-------------
DebConf is the Debian Project's developer conference. In addition to a full
schedule of technical, social and policy talks, DebConf provides an
opportunity for developers, contributors and other interested people to meet
in person and work together more closely.  It has taken place annually since
2000 in locations as varied as Canada, Finland, Mexico, Scotland, and
Argentina.

DebConf9 will take place in Cáceres from Friday 24th until Thursday 30th
July.

DebConf will be preceded by DebCamp, from Thursday 16th until Thursday 23rd
July.  DebCamp is a smaller, less formal event giving an opportunity for
group work on Debian projects.

If you are interested in helping by working as a volunteer during DebConf,
please contact debconf-team@lists.debconf.org

If you or your company are interested in sponsoring DebConf by donating money
or lending equipment, please contact the sponsorship team at
sponsors@debconf.org

More information about DebConf9 can be found on the conference website:
https://debconf9.debconf.org/

About Debian
------------
The Debian Project is an association of Free Software developers who
volunteer their time and effort in order to produce the free operating system
Debian GNU/Linux.

About Cáceres
-------------
Cáceres (pronounced like Katheres, with an accent on the a) is the capital of
Cáceres Province. There have been settlements near Cáceres since prehistoric
times. Evidence of this can be found in the caves of Maltravieso and El
Conejar. The city was founded by the ancient Romans in 25 BC.

The old town, or Ciudad Monumental, still has its ancient walls; this part of
town is also well known for its multitude of storks' nests.  The walls
contain a perfect medieval town setting with no outward signs of modernity.
For this reason many films have been shot here.  The Universidad de
Extremadura and two astronomical observatories are also located in Cáceres.

Cáceres was declared a World Heritage City by UNESCO in 1986 because of the
city's blend of Roman, Islamic, Northern Gothic and Italian Renaissance
styles, fruit of the many battles fought here throughout history. An amazing
30 towers from the Muslim period still stand in Cáceres, of which the Torre
del Bujaco is the most famous.

For more information please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cáceres,_Spain
which this text was based on.