Re: BD-RE DL write failures

Hi,

> I suspect the good/slow items are again the media.

I assume that most of the "slow" ranges are due to relocated blocks.
Defect Management decided that the read quality was not good enough
and put a copy into the Spare Area, which is located at the inner rim
of the medium. So the laser head has to hope inwards and then back
outwards when it reaches the original invalidated position of the chunk.

> At the present time I am of the opinion that BD-RE is just too
> unreliable to continue working with it for data purposes.

The combination of BD-RE DL and your drives does not work well, indeed.
My own experience with single layer BD-RE is different. Not more than
two or three die per year. And i am using them daily.

> I might try another method of using the media like a tape drive by
> writing the tar file directly.  I think xorriso will do that from the
> man page.

It can put an ISO 9660 filesystem onto a tape, but that would be
hard to read.
In the old days i put tar or afio archives directly on QIC tapes.
It is quite painful to wait minutes until a particular file was
found and restored. Consider to use a more flexible tape archiver
like "dar".

In any case it is important that you practice restoring of particular
files before you decide for an archive format.