Re: what difference xorriso is it going to make on the user interface?

Hi,

Rob Bogus <rob23@tmr.com> wrote:
> The one feature of cdrecord which seems to be unique is burning VCD and SVCD
> images. Since the price of DVD media has dropped and more people have
> hardware support, use of CD for video is a very special case.

cdrecord and its clones implement knowledge about CD recording
which i cannot read completely from the MMC specs.
I guess i could implement most of the exotic stuff in SAO mode
but raw CD recording is still quite a riddle to me.
The main reason why i never made experiments in that direction
is that i simply have no use case and no users for this.

> I confess I have not used anything other than cdrecord to burn audio CD, so
> I can't speak for how well that works in other tools.

CD TEXT is another point where i lack of technical details.
I could probably learn from libcdio if an interested user would
show up.

xorriso does only sessions with a single data track.
cdrskin is able to record pure audio CDs, but not the CD-XA format
that is prescribed for CD which contain audio and data tracks.

As we are at it, mkisofs can produce HFS images and simple UDF,
which xorriso cannot.

HFS is needed for production of bootable Debian images for PowerPC.
(They still have to use genisoimage for that.)
Here i lack entirely of specs and would have to explore open source code.

UDF would allow to record video DVDs which comply to the specs for
livingroom DVD players.
UDF is openly specified as ECMA-167 plus UDF-2.60. Mind twisting.
I happily find excuses to do other things first.