Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > I will of course prefer to write in raw mode using cdrecord before
> > writing in SAO mode with an unknown drive as I then know
> > that many typical bugs in the CD writer firmware do not apply.
>
> Any systematic problem with CD SAO would be restricted
> to a very small set of drives. I use up a drive per

I would not call Lite-ON a small manufactuer. Since Lite-ON started it's
business around 2001, I am still waiting for a report that the Lite-ON
firmware has been fixed.

BTW: Lite-ON is the main reason for the smooth change in cdrecord's default
write mode. When the next development cycle for cdrecord starts in summer,
omitting the write mode will calse cdrecord to auto-select the best write mode
based on heuristics. This will definitely select RAW mode for all Lite-ON
drives to avoid writing rotten sub-channel data in SAO mode. This will
also select RAW mode for Pioneer because Pioneer does not support to write CDs
that make use of indices.

I understand that you are interested in calling this a low importance issue as
your software does not support RAW writing.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)