Re: More Dual-Layer burning oddities

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> So you either have a problem with the medium or with the drives firmware.
> Cdrecord computes and uses the right value automatically.

Yeah, could be.  For now I'm just going to content myself with setting
the layer break manually.  Clearly you know more about cdrecord
internals than I do - I had just assumed from the manpage that using the
manual 'layerbreak' option caused the drive to burn in a different mode,
which happens to work for me.

> What value do you use for the layerbreak?

I actually used the value given to me by either cdrecord or growisofs (I
forget which one had told me what value it had been using), which was
just half of the disc in 2k blocks.  In this particular case it was
2035696.

> It is a well known problem that some media is unreadable on the second
> layer.....

Yeah, I don't doubt that.  The discs I burnt by specifying layerbreak
manually seem to work fine, though, so I'm happy enough with that.

-CJ

--
WOW: Flemmy            |   "Happiness isn't good enough for me!  I
pez@apocalyptech.com   |              demand euphoria!"