Re: Blanking/Formating a BD-RE

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> > Chemnitz is more community oriented than commercial, this is why it is alway
> > interesting to talk to people.
> >
> > One intersting news for Linux might be that it should be possible to run
> > cdrecord root-less on newer Linux kernels in the close future.
> >
> By using capabilities or improved filtration of commands? Or something
> else I don't think of in a moment. Good in any case. I haven't found
> that SElinux made any additional problems, but BD has been out of my
> price range still.

It makes no sense to work on the SCSI command filter on Linux as the Linux
developers do not seem to be interested in collaboration or ease of use.
Allowing to send arbitrary SCSI commands on read-only file descriptors with
Linux-2.5 was a mess and not fixing this bug did cause the problems with
cdrecord on Linux-2.6

Recent Linux kernels seem to implement mandatory ACLs for the withddrawn
POSIX capabilities.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)