Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Joerg Schilling:
> > The same could be said for e.g. growisofs. Growisofs artificially
> > limits the write mode for DVDs to what DVD+R/RW allows ignoring the
> > features of DVD-R/RW.
>
> Indeed ? It writes blank DVD-R[W] as DAO with option -dvd-compat
> and it writes them as Incremental Streaming (32 kB fixed packet)
> elsewise. Reasons not to use Incremental Streaming with DVD-RW:
> - they are formatted to Restricted Overwrite,
> - they are fast-blanked, which allows DAO only.
> Usually the media is left appendable after Incremental Streaming,
> but on appendable DVD-RW growisofs -dvd-compat causes closing
> after the session is written.

I would not believe that this is true....
Please show the cdrecord -v -minfo output for such a disk.

If the size is not needed in advance in this mode, then grosisofa _definitely_
does not write in the best mode.

> >  The size is only "unneded"
> > in case you use the less compatible packet writing mode. Cdrecord
> > by default implements the write mode with the best read-compatibility.
>
> Do i miss something ? Is there a way to use
> Incremental Streaming on DVD-R[W] via cdrecord ?
> It would come in very handy for scdbackup.

There is no such mode, what are you talking about?

Cdrecord implements the most important things first.....

If there was less FUD from some bad guys at Debian, I did have
more time to code.... but note that I write a lot of OSS software and
I prefer to work on _new_ and important technology. The most important
new technology currently is libfind which causes much more work than
you might imagine. Note that I did write a "find" command from scratch
in one week, but I am spending already more than 50x the amount of
tim in making it a real universal library that works inside star, mkisofs
and as builtin inside "bsh" and "ksh93".

BTW: it would be intersting to knoe why several people did start own
CD/DVD writing software project just to learn what they could learn from
reading my software instead of helping with cdrtools.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)