Re: Samsung DVD writer.

Joerg Schilling wrote:
scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

Joerg Schilling wrote:
I see no relation to cdrecord......
There seems to be rather a relation to drive weirdology.

A GET CONFIGURATION command should succeed if the
drive is ready to do any work.
"Unsupported ATAPI command 0x46" looks much like
a message from operating system resp. a ATA controller.

No, it looks like a typical badly understandable error message
from growisofs...

Do you have an opportunity to connect the drive
to a computer with Linux ? Would dvd+rw-mediainfo
fail there too ?

This does not make sense :-(

If you have the opportinits to connect to a computer with Solaris, you may verify whether there is a Linux driver bug.

If you like to see an error message that is meaningful, get a
recent cdrtools

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

and call cdrecord -prcap and cdrecord -minfo as root or install
cdrecord as root.

Haven't you fixed the problem of requiring root YET?!! I don't expect you to fix it on Linux, but I would have thought BSD would work.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc