Re: cdrecord-2.01.01a21 refuses work on Linux 2.4 if non-ide-scsi DVD-ROM is present

Hi,

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> What I was looking for is the setgid bit on a directory in
> /home/thomas/usr/bin

Well, there isn't. At least i could not spot.

> Copied with cp -p of course? To preserve ownership and permissions?

No. I toggled as root

  mkdir /home/thomas/usr
  mkdir /home/thomas/usr/bin
  cp /usr/bin/cdrecord-2.01.01a21-hz100 /home/thomas/usr/bin

Everything else is provided by the quite fresh and
virgin SuSE 9.3 installation. ( / is hda1, /home is hda3.)

I will have to check wether the superuser got some
"helpful" alias on cp. That could indeed explain half
of the weirdness.

But not why a binary is reported by ls -l as owned by root
but with chmod u+s executes as thomas. That remains out of reason.