Re: a question on pipes and growisofs

Hi,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> For backups, I recommend to use star's "dump" format (created if you
> add -dump to the command line).

We discussed this in August 2005 on star-users :
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/star-users/2005-August/000417.html

Me:
> > Do you mean with "make backups" that i should always
> > use option -dump (or "level=0") ?
You:
> If you like a complete backup, is is the best to use level=0.
> In this case, star forces you to backup the complete filesystem
> and archives even more data about the FS.

Reading  man star-1.5a64/star/star.1  (i did not update
since a year, i confess) i get the impression that the features
of level=0 are a superset of -dump.

I would have to change my star adapter if -dump was really
superior over level=0 for the special purpose of backing up
a sleeping system partition - in order to get true disaster
recovery - but more portable than a flat device copy.
(This recovery indeed worked in a brute test in september 2005.
The restored Linux was fully operational afterwards.)