Re: How to tell if mounted media is CD-R, CD-RW or CD-ROM?

On 3/1/06, scdbackup@gmx.net <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> > Note the "Linux bus mapping botch message"
> > ./cdrecord-prodvd-2.01.01: Warning Linux Bus mapping botch.
> Qu'est-ce que c'est "botch" ? Aha. "Pfusch", "Stuemperei".
> Looks like Joerg is not amused by some bug-or-feature of
> your Linux.

Take out the "your" part :-)

> Is this behavior bound to a certain kernel version ?
> Can you afford to boot some rescue Linux or Life-CD

I cannot boot CDs because system is at remote location right now.
I made all tests with stock 2.4.32 kernel.org kernel.
Now I booted the latest RHEL3 (2.4 based) kernel and it has the very same issue.

With kernel 2.6.15.4 it does work, that is it prints "is erasable",
even if before the string
"ATIP info from disk"
I get 100 lines from cdrecord with
resid: 61752
resid: 61752
the number 61752 is always the same.

So it seems this is a problem with kernel < 2.6.

--
giulioo@pobox.com