Re: DVD+R DL writing failed

Dorin Lazar wrote:

INQUIRY: [_NEC ][DVD_RW ND-3500AG][2.16]

This firmware version is ancient
[NEC fails to write on crap discs]
What does the error actually mean?

While most drives waste money by trying to record Ritek DVD+R DL,
NEC drives are among the fews ones which save time and money by
rejecting them as "incompatible format."

 Why are they so bad?

Because Ritek does not care about quality.

Is there somewhere I can read about NEC/Ritek DVD+R DL issues? What kind of media would you recommend?

If you just look at some forums, you'll notice that most users who tried to
use those crappy discs had problems either before or after trying to record
them.

Only very few users, preferably users owning Pioneer drives and very
tolerant dvd players, report success with these bad discs.

Is there anything I can do?

Yes

 Any suggestions? Firmware update would solve this problem?
It is not a problem, but a feature. As I said, most other drives waste discs, money
and time by trying to record them and creating unreadable discs.

There are only 2 types of reliable DL discs: Verbatim and Ricoh. As Ricoh
discs are not supported by your drive, you can only use Verbatim media
(MKM-001-00).

Alex