DVD DL woes...

All, having some trouble burning some backup DVD vobs...  I have
searched around the archives and haven't been able to come up with
anything, if it's there I'm not up to speed enough to ask the right
question yet!

Hardware config:
-NEC-3500A

Software config:
Slackware 9.1
Kernel: 2.4.22
* growisofs by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 5.21,
  front-ending to mkisofs: mkisofs 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

I'm noticing the following behavior using two different types of DL
media (Ridata and Memorex).  Note that the vob's come from a copy of
the Italian Job I have that I want to backup.

root@www:/home/apaterra/dvds# growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw -dvd-compat ITALIAN_JOB/
Executing 'mkisofs ITALIAN_JOB/ | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvdrw obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/dvdrw: splitting layers at 2004592 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with
SK=3h/ASC=02h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

--
Tony Paterra
apaterra@gmail.com