Re: Burning DVD sometimes fails - sometimes works

Bill Davidsen wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

If I burn with 2.4x instead of 4x, there seems to be no problem. I
wonder what this could mean.

It means that the drive isn't adapting properly to the media, but with
2.4x it falls within the tolerances the reading drive can handle.

I found that a Pioneer A106 never had problems burning Verbatim 4x DVD-R
media at 4x. However 4x media is no longer available, and the same
burner doesn't burn the Verbatim 8x DVD-R media at 4x at all, but it
seems to work (mostly???) at 2x. This is even with the latest firmware,
which improved things a bit but didn't fix them. Pioneer is obviously
not interested in keeping older burner models running, as the last
firmware update was some time back.

Interesting, because my A104 burns at 2x, in spite of claiming with
-prcap that it does only 1x. And I use cheap blanks from computer
shows and whatever OfficeMax/Staples have on sale when I get low. But
I agree the media is the issue in most cases.

I don't disagree about the media, I just want to point out that this is
a good example of the fact that what you pay for the media is generally
not closely related to the quality of the media.

I think the question is compatibility of the media rather than quality,
and I'll explain why. I have had some no-name media which would not burn
for anything in one major brand (brandA) burner, but were totally reliable
in brandB, and after burning read fine everywhere. Since I've gone through
many of the major brands I won't quote the names, both burners are
generally satisfactory on other brands.

I'd love to find out why.
The point is that the problem was in the firmware, not the quality of the
media. Kind of like pizza toppings, the quality may be fine, but there may
be some you just can't handle ;-)