Re: DVD+R burning problem (other media okay)

willmore@optonline.net (2004-12-14 at 1230.31 -0500):
> Source drive is on a promise 20267 based controller PCI card
[...]
> The burn seemed to go nicely at just under 6x on the DVD+R
> media (marked at 4x on the label).  But the files on the
> media once it's mounted contain a number of errors.  But,
> they form a pattern--or so it seems.

I have a motherboard with an integrated PDC20267, so it has four IDE
channels, and I was using it with a secondary disk. Channel (mobo's) 1
for one IDE disk, channel 2 for optical drives, and (pdc's) 3 for the
other disk.

I discovered that it read at full speed but wrote at slow speed (or
the inverse, it is not the big issue). The worst was that things I put
in that disk had errors, detected it while verifying a CD.

Being busy with other issues, I just put both disks in channel 1 and
disabled the Promise chip. The kernel was 2.4.26, when I have time I
could a try with newer ones (but not soon, cos swapping capables in
that machine also means touching the SCSI disks).

I did a quick search (PDC20267 data error) today and got:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.3/2551.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/ataraid-list/2001-July/msg00021.html

GSR