Re: permissions denied when using k3b

Geoffrey wrote:

I'm curious as to if anyone has found a reasonable solution to problems with the various gui interfaces running as a non-root user when cdrecord is the chosen tool?

I've tried setting permissions on the device, setuid bit and sudo, to no avail. cdrecord always exists because of permissions.

A common approach is to make cdrecord setuid root, in a special group (I use burners often), then add selected users to the burners group. Trying to fake the permissions on the device doesn't address other issues like being able to lock memory and use realtime scheduling.

I confess, on an unloaded system those optimizations are usually not needed, although on a loaded system they certainly are!

--

bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc