Multi Volume CD/DVDs

Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to ask what is the commonly
practiced method of creating multi-volume disks. That is, for instance
I need to burn a directory that has files whose combined size is, say
12 GB. How would one go about creating multiple ISO9660 images from it
and then burning them on CD/DVDs. Is there a way that these images can
themselves keep track of information like their position in the
sequence, total number of images that constitute the complete dataset
etc.

Also, what if the things are complicated by the existence of one or
more files of size > 2GB. Is this a Linux only issue? Is this an issue
on 64 bit SGI IRIX systems?

I did read mkisofs man page but could not understand how exactly
to get this done. Please advise. I shall really appreciate any response.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ashish