DVD writing, alpha architecture, recommendations wanted

Dear masters of DVD writing!

We are planning to switch from tape backups to DVD backups in our
institute at the university.

Our backup server is a alpha SX164, with a Promise PDC20267 UDMA100 IDE
controller, running debian/woody.

I have the following questions:
- Is writing of DVDs supported on alpha architecture, and if yes, is it
  still `buggy' or ok?
  For cdrecord-prodvd I do not see alpha/linux architecture. For
  dvd+rw-tools I have built my own backport from the debian/sid package,
  but got the following errors compiling:
growisofs.c: In function `setup_fds':
growisofs.c:503: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c:508: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
growisofs.c:517: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c: In function `main':
growisofs.c:1778: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
growisofs.c:1778: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

- Can I put the DVD writer on the Promise controller?
  I know that there are some controllers which do not accept CDROM
  drives (my HPT eg).

- Finally, which DVD writer could you recommend?
  Our main/only usage will be for backing up snapshots of the
  filesystem. From the following list, which do you think is most
  suitable:
	Plextor PX708A
	LG M4040B-R
	LG M4081B-B
	Benq DW400A
	Benq DW800A
	Asus DRW-0402P/D
	Sony DRU-530A
	Philips DVD 824
	Philips DVD 208K
	Pioneer DVR-107D
	MSI DR8-A
	NEC ND-2500
  Personally I have very good experiences with Plextor drives, so I tend
  to them, but alas, they are expensive, and our university is very
  picky with money.

(really last one for now)
- Do you know a `good' backup program for DVD?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion/help/warning!

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien
LOW EGGBOROUGH (n.)
A quiet little unregarded man in glasses who is building a new kind of
atomic bomb in his garden shed.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff