Re: growisofs + DVD+R + Plextor708A

Hi,

 ..(about the use of 'mysterious')
|       ^^^^^ It wasn't my intention. I should have written "avoid using
| such words as "mysteriously" *alone* in reports," as that's what I
| meant. The fact that no errors were shown or logged is indeed
| mysterious, but reassurance that this is actually the case is absolutely
| essential.
No problems. I greatly appreciate the interaction you are supplying
which gives you the right to stear my wording in problem reports ;-) Let's
focus on the problem at hand though ..

| If you burn a lot, you might as well choose to modify code to
| effectively convert the error to a warning (as mentioned in the referred
| post).
I do burn a lot, but setting the speed once to 4x is enough; changing media
after burning with the new speed-setting retains 4x speed in my case. I
can wait for a proper fix (firmware or code, as you explained in that
particular post).

| > I've already showed mediainfo for this particular media;
|
| There was only one dvd+rw-mediainfo output, for blank media, right after
| "Failed to change write speed" in originating post. Was it it? If media
| remained blank, then you might be able to re-use it... Note that the
| question essentially was "I *would* *like* to see," so if you can't spot
| that particular media, just drop the question. A.
To answer your first question: Yes, my originating post contains the info.
All tests we did in this thread were using the same batch of media;
Platinum 4x DVD+Rs (which seem to be RICOHJPN at 8x).

For completeness, here's a fresh output of an unwritten unit of this media:

$ sudo dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd0
INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-708A  ][1.06]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
 Media ID:              RICOHJPN/R01
 Current Write Speed:   4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #2:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     6.0x1385=8310KB/s@[0 -> 385023]
                        8.0x1385=11080KB/s@[385024 -> 2295103]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    02/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    02/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#2:    02/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
:-[ READ DVD STRUCTURE#0 failed with SK=5h/ASC=24h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           blank
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           2295104*2KB
 Track Size:            2295104*2KB

They (Platinum manufacturers) most probably made a transition from 4x
to 8x by making 8x media with a 4x designation to let their customer base
try to see if 8x media works for them, and if so simply designate 8x speed
on the media after some time. This time is about now, because Platinum is
now offering 8x media also.

If there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know. I've just
ordered an additional 100 units of this (Platinum 8x) media. If you wish to
test or further investigate, please let me know offlist so we can work
something out.

For my specific case -- I've burned several (5 or so) DVDs succesfully
after I:
* upgraded to FreeBSD 5.2.1-p1 (Pav's suggestion)
* set udma33 in stead of pio4 (Andy's suggestion)
* upgraded to Firmware 1.06 on the Plextor 708A drive (Pim's suggestion)
* set -speed=4 once (with error and exit()) , then no -speed option on
  successive burn attempts;

Kindest regards,
Pim
--