Re: Strange behaviour of growisofs

>  84.69% done, estimate finish Mon Mar  8 18:23:16 2004
> :-( unable to WRITE@LBA=1d4320h: Success
> builtin_dd: 1917728*2KB out
> :-( write failed: Success
> /dev/dvd: flushing cache
> /dev/dvd: writing lead-out
> :-( unable to TEST UNIT READY: Success
> <michael@rakete>:~>
>
> <michael@rakete>:~>uname -a
> Linux rakete 2.2.20 #21 SMP Sat Jan 24 22:02:53 CET 2004 i686 unknown
> <michael@rakete>:~>

Postulate. Even though Linux kernel 2.2.x is mentioned in growisofs
revision history, it's not really supported.

I personally never tested it under 2.2 and reports from 2.2.x users
appear contradictory. Judging from vanilla kernel source it shouldn't
work (the fact that you see "Success" is direct result of 2.2 kernel
deficiency), but as couple of users reported it working, there most
likely is/was some vendor kernel addressing this issue. Unfortunately I
have no further details on the latter and can only say that "you're on
your own." It's unfortunate, but I have no choice. Maybe somebody else
on the list can share experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if it
turns out that there're no subsribers on this list who run 2.2, so don't
hold your breath.

> The dvd-writing-process seemed to work, only the last output is a little
> bit strange (failed because of success?).

It failed and files at the outer edge should [and do as you later
reported] fail verification. A.