Re: writing speed issue with dvd+rw-tools

Andy Polyakov wrote:

GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
 Media ID:              Yi Jhan 001
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     3.9x1385=5408KB/s@[0 -> 0]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/0 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@3.9x1385=5408KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/0 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@2.0x1385=2704KB/s

[jon@portnoy jon]$ growisofs -speed=2.0 -Z /dev/hdc  -graft-points -R -r
-l -J [files]
[...snip...]
/dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 4.0x1385KBps.
[...snip...]

This is odd. If growisofs had above descriptor list at this point, it
should have tried to set 2x... And if it have failed to change it to 2x,
it should have refused to start the recording... Odd... Relevant
question is what happens next. I would very much like that we just
dismiss this, as I don't think it's worth spending time on poorly
supported media. I find it hard to believe that you would have problems
finding media which works reliably with your unit... Cheers. A.
I agree with all that. My flatmate now has a present of some cheap media to use in his expensive drive. I have more media arriving soon. Problem solved, from a practical point of view.

I just also found the patches at http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~warly/files/cdrtools/
I'll shout if they throw up any hugely interesting or different behaviour.

Jon