Re: writing speed issue with dvd+rw-tools

Joerg Schilling wrote:
From: Jon Wilson <jon@phuq.co.uk>

I'm trying to burn some data onto a DVD-R disk in an NEC-1300A drive. The media is off low quality (as is the drive!) and burning at 4 speed gives me coaster after coaster. But grwoisofs seems to ignore my attempts to burn at 1x or 2x speed. Burning at 1-speed onto quality DVD-RW media works fine. Should I expect growisofs to ignore my speed override? I have tried "speed=1", "speed=1.0", "speed=", etc. Help! Well, help until my quality media arrives, anyway!

Did you try whether cdrecord-ProDVD will allow you to set the speed?

No.

I can see that this *might* help determine whether the drive or the software is at fault.

But the "free" version of cdrecord-ProDVD only burns 1G of data (according to the docs) which is less than I need to burn. Also, I spend far a painfully large amount of my work time doing product support for closed source projects. Respectfully, I don't see why I should spend my free time doing support & testing for yours, as I will learn nothing, get paid nothing and have no guarantee anyone but you will benefit. So I'll stick with dvd+rw-tools if that's OK.

Jon