Optorite DVD?

I just got a DVD+/-RW which at first look doesn't seem to want to work
with Linux. It identifies itself as
  OPTORITE
  DVD RW DD203
and oddly seems to return totally different information from -prcap
depending on being mounted with ide-scsi or ide-cd. Most odd, I didn't
think anyone would bother to manufacture (deliberately) a device which was
other than mmc.

If anyone knows if there's a fix or for sure that there isn't please let
me know. I have to do kernel upgrades for the next few hours, so I can't
chase it right now. CERT advisory: upgrade to 2.4.25/2.6.3 or latest
vendor kernel.