Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

>From: Ambrose Li <acli@ada.dhs.org>

>> I just did run a test that verifies that the 708 in fact
>> returns 36 bytes.  So the problem is definitely caused by a
>> Linux driver bug.
>>
>> I tend to believe that growisofs just does not check the SCSI
>> status byte and for this reason is not aware of the problem.

>However, if the 708 really returns 36 bytes, I would say that
>one is not wrong to say that the 708 is buggy. Andy pointed

It would be buggy if the announced number of bytes does not corespond
with the real number of bytes.

>out that the MMC standard *requires* the length returned to be
>32+8*n (for some integer n) [section 6.26.2.1 "Disc Information
>Length"]. Since 36 is not 32+8*n for any integer n, 36 cannot be
>a valid value.

This is irrelevant! The drive does nothing that violates the protol
layers that are affected by the kernel.

>As for whether growisofs does or does not check the status byte,
>since growisofs is open-source, anyone can just download it and
>see if it does the check or not.

I am sure that if growisofs would check all relevant information
returned by the driver, it would fail too.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling