Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

Lourens Veen wrote:
On Tue 27 January 2004 11:16, Lourens Veen wrote:

On Tue 27 January 2004 08:06, Lourens Veen wrote:

Then there is autofs
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/autofs/?topic_id=142, can't find
a real homepage) and KDE uses fam
(http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/), however I don't think fam
actually mounts devices by itself, it just watches files. I use
(parts of) KDE myself and fam is almost always running; it's
never given me any problems with writing CDs.

It turns out that there is a daemon similar to magicdev, which is
used with KDE: autorun
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorun/). From the description:

I just found out that both magicdev and autorun originated at Red
Hat. It seems somebody decided they needed automounting
functionality, even if it meant a security weakness, and they
implemented it for both GNOME and KDE, as magicdev and autorun
respectively. It seems like these are separate packages, so I think
the best thing to do is to recommend uninstalling them wholesale.

I'll try and get a patch to README.volmgt together this weekend.

I'm not sure what you would patch, some instructions on how to disable the feature in the GNOME menus would be appropriate. It's easy to use a hammer, I removed execute permissions from the executable, but there is a way to control the feature properly. The preferences->CD_properties doesn't seem to be the only place to disable.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
  It seemed like a good idea at the time