dvd+rw tools error message

Hello,

I upgraded to dvd+rw-tools-5.17 tonight and I seem to have
found a new error message I have not seen before.

# growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -dvd-video output
Executing 'mkisofs -dvd-video output | builtin_dd of=/dev/raw/raw1 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( unable to PREVENT MEDIA REMOVAL: Bad file descriptor

This was using a new DVD+RW media on a HP 300n IDE drive unit.
The device is set to use the /dev/raw/raw1 for use with sdd.  I
also attempted to format the media, and that went through
normally.  Made another attempt after formatting and received
the same meesage.

Inserted media into another drive and it appears to be burning
normally.  Except that it reported the speed at 2.5x instead of 2.4x.
This unit was not bound to a raw device. It completed the burn in
22 minutes as I would expect for 4.2 GBytes.

I removed the raw device binding and attempting another burn on a
new media and it reported that it was starting the format and
proceeded normally.  It reported the write speed at 2.4x this time.
Burn completed normally in 22 minutes.

Perhaps I should of stated the raw device /dev/raw/raw1 on the
command line.  But I have not had to do that before except when
using sdd.  In addition, I am not able to remember when was the last
time I attempted to use growisofs directly on this drive unit.  For
growisofs operations I normally use of my other units on the firewire
interface.  This drive I have used almost exclusively for sdd operations
for sometime now.

I reassigned the raw device and I attempted again using the /dev/scd0
device and received the same error message.  Then I tried to use the
/dev/raw/raw1 device name but was given a different error message from
before.  I reused the same media here that was burned OK just prior so
it reports that as well.

raw /dev/raw/raw1 11 0
/dev/raw/raw1:  bound to major 11, minor 0

growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -dvd-video output
WARNING: /dev/scd0 already carries isofs!
About to execute 'mkisofs -dvd-video output | builtin_dd of=/dev/raw/raw1 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( unable to PREVENT MEDIA REMOVAL: Bad file descriptor

growisofs -Z /dev/raw/raw1 -dvd-video output
WARNING: /dev/raw/raw1 already carries isofs!
About to execute 'mkisofs -dvd-video output | builtin_dd of=/dev/raw/raw1 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( /dev/raw/raw1: mounted media doesn't appear to be DVD±RW or DVD±R

So I made another attempt using new media and received the same
error message.

So from what I am able to tell here, I have to unbind the raw device before I
am able to use growisofs on the drive.  At first thought, perhaps maybe a feature
here for reliable device locking.  However, since apparently I am not able to burn
at all using the device when bound to a raw device, it is probably a bug.

Thank you,
James