From: Thomas J Magliery PhD [mailto:magliery@csb.yale.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 2:11 PM
To: Joerg Schilling
Cc: cdwrite@other.debian.org; lourens@rainbowdesert.net;
appro@fy.chalmers.se
Subject: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

Joerg, I removed the RHL9 RPMs of cdrecord, cdrecord-devel and
dvdrecord, and I ran a make INS_BASE=/usr install for cdrtools.  I put
the cdrecord-ProDVD binary and a wrapper in /usr/bin.  Unfortunately,
again, this makes no difference:

===========================
[root@reganlinux xcdroast]# cdrecord-ProDVD.sh -atip dev=0,0,0
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Unlocked features: ProDVD Clone
Limited  features:
This copy of cdrecord is licensed for:
private/research/educational_non-commercial_use
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-708A  '
Revision       : '1.04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 DVD+R driver (mmc_dvdplusr).
Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
cdrecord-ProDVD: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 240s
cdrecord-ProDVD: Cannot get disk type.
======================================

As before, there is a blank DVD+R from Memorex in the drive.  To recap:
 I am now using the most recent versions of cdrtools (2.01a25),
cdrecord-ProDVD (2.01a24 for linux), xcdroast (0.98a15), and
dvd+rw-tools (5.16.4.8.5).  I upgraded the firmware to 1.04.  I can burn
DVD+Rs using growisofs, but I get the above error with cdrecord-ProDVD.
 The kernel module cdrom was constantly sending a message that it
couldn't find tracks on the blank DVD+R, so I removed magicdev and the
offending KDE Autorun.desktop command.  This clears up the kernel
message, but doesn't help cdrecord.  There are no other kernel errors
that I can see.

Finally, I installed cdrtools in /usr/local before I realized that
xcdroast wanted it in /usr.  Is there a command to uninstall it from
/usr/local, or do I have to do this by hand?

Thanks,
Tom