Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> I can burn
> DVD+Rs using growisofs, but I get the above error with cdrecord-ProDVD.

I can smell a dead simple solution here...

>   Incidentally, do I
> correctly understand that the dvdrecord command no longer exists

You can probably still download it from somewhere. There's no point in
using it, since it's far too outdated.

> that cdrecord-ProDVD

This is commercial binary-only software.

> Or was dvdrecord just some
> Red Hat package of cdrecord-ProDVD?

No. Various distributions shipped dvdrecord some while ago, because it
looked like pretty much the only open source program which also burnt
DVDs. Not quite accurate, but it goes along those lines. Plus vendors
aren't allowed to ship -prodvd I believe.

> Finally, I installed cdrtools in /usr/local before I realized that
> xcdroast wanted it in /usr.  Is there a command to uninstall it from
> /usr/local, or do I have to do this by hand?

Yes. (Why didn't you make a new rpm instead? Or downloaded the cdrecord
binary from Jörg for testing?)

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.