firmware or media problem or what???

Hi folks
I just got my first dvd writer and is struggling to get it working on my
linux box. (My son tells me I should opt for plan b, and put it in his XP
box.)
I have successfully made a CDR, which should mean I'm pretty close.

Now I have ruined a couple of DVD+R and seek your advice before I ruin
myself.
The box is a vanilla rh9 with all apt updates from freshrpms.
dvd+rw-tools is installed as an rpm created directly from the tarball.
I run dvd+rw-mediainfo and it says it fails, but I don't understand if
that is important.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong and should RTFM, but It would be nice to
_know_ if that is  the case.
The media is from a 25-pack marked PHILIPS DVD+R 1-4x.

Great if someone could tell what these codes mean.
Printout with a fresh disk follows...

/Bengt

[root@server root]# rpm -q dvd+rw-tools
dvd+rw-tools-5.16.4.8.5-1
[root@server root]# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom
INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-1300A ][1.06]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
GET PERFORMANCE:
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2295104 Reading@7.8x Writing@3.9x
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2295104 Reading@7.8x Writing@2.3x
:-[ READ DVD STRUCTURE#0 failed with SK=5h/ASC=24h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty