Re: dvd+rw-tools-5.14.4.7.4.tar.gz

> > > rasca@lupo:~/pictures> growisofs -speed=1 -Z /dev/scd0=fotos-backup.iso
> > > :-( /dev/scd0: unsupported MMC profile 10
> >
> > now it says "doesn't look like recordable media to me."
>
> I like your program, but a more user friendly error message would
> be usefull. Not every linux user is a DVD expert ;-)

Of course. But as already mentioned poor media support in firmware
manifests itself in *bizarre* ways. From my experience error message is
most likely misleading regardless how it actually reads. I'm *not*
saying that I refuse to change the message (on the contrary it will read
as "media is no recognized as recordable DVD" in next update), I'm only
saying that it will appear as confusing as current one to most(?) users.

> > Well, you
> > definitely should try another media brand... A.
>
> Yesterday I bought a DVD+R media (brand "Creation"). It burned
> and plays without any errors or warnings. Does it mean DVD+R
> are less problematic than DVD-R in combi burners?

This statement doesn't hold *universally* true, but DVD+ is less
problematic in *some* dual-format burners (notorious example is NEC
ND-1300, at least earlier firmwares) and DVD- is less problematic in
*some* *other* burners. A.