Re: DVD+/-R writers

> >> DVD+R usually does not know the size of the medium when it starts
> >> writing and therefore writes the TOC after the data. With DVD-R and DVD-RW
> >> and cdrecord you write in SAO mode which causes the TOC to be written first
> >> and the data to be written later without the need to reposition the laser.
>
> >High frequency DVD+ ADIP makes it possible to reposition the laser with
> >adequate accuracy. Adequate enough to maintain compatibility with
> >DVD-ROM. This was discussed already long time ago. And as already said
> >implementing DVD+R SAO would *not* improve compatibility with DVD-ROM,
> >so there is no point to complain about lack of it. In other words single
> >DVD+R recording mode is more than enough.
>
> Please don't repeat unproven statements.

I don't follow. It's first time I say that "implementing DVD+R SAO would
*not* improve compatibility with DVD-ROM." Yes, I admit it's a bit too
dared statement and I should probably have said "implementing DVD+R SAO
would not *dramatically* improve compatibility with DVD-ROM, at least
not enough to actually miss it."

> We did already discuss this and you
> never have been able to prove your claims.

We *both* have only one way to prove our statements: take vendor's word
and try to refute it by practical experience. If vendor's word holds the
scrutiny, then it's considered to be proven. Now, when I say that DVD+R
recording strategy provides for adequate compatibility with DVD-ROM even
without DAO, I'm not just repeating something I've read, I speak from
practical experience, both my personal and of dvd+rw-tools users. Among
all incompatibility reports I've received and examined, none were caused
by physical formatting issues [such as possible splices]. The outcome
from those reports is presented in "Compatibility: caveat lector"
paragraph on dvd+rw-tools page.

> In order to make a recording that is as good as a real SAO recording

If *every* bit of both Data Zone and Lead-in/-out areas would actually
count 100%, yes. But the point is that DVD-ROM specification permits for
impurities and *in practice* splices hardly affect
compatibility/playability. Then it's also known that DVD+ splices affect
playability in *less* degree than DVD- ones, as former are smaller
[thanks to higher accuracy of wobble pre-groove, see
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113 for example]. Now given that a)
DVD+R and DVD+RW pre-proove are essentialy same and b) DVD+RW ADIP is
accurate enough to provide for true random access after minimal format,
we can safely conclude that it's ADIP which is accurate enough to
provide for adequate accuracy when laser is repositioned at the end of
DVD+R recording, adequate enough to maintain DVD-ROM compatibility. A.