Re: Bad media?

On Wed 8 October 2003 20:28, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a DVD burn ended like this:
>
> Track 01: 4387 of 4449 MB written (fifo  99%) [buf 100%]
> 2.0x.

See below.

> Total translation table size: 0
> Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
> Total directory bytes: 0
> Path table size(bytes): 10
> Max brk space used 21ac4

Information about the disc.

> 2277945 extents written (4449 Mb)
> Track 01: 4431 of 4449 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  94%]

This means that it stopped on the first track, after having written
4431 of 4449 MB. The fifo queue (between cdrecord and the drive)
was 100% full, the buffer (in the drive) was 94% full. If this were
a buffer underrun the buffer would have been empty (0%).

> 2.0x.cdrecord-prodvd: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd:
> no error

There was an Input/output error when writing. This is a very generic
error message, that doesn't say much other then that something went
wrong. The last SCSI command (write_g1) was sent to the drive
succesfully (the "scsi sendcmd: no error" part), but there was a
problem executing it.

> CDB:  2A 00 00 22 9F F1 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: F1 00 03 00 22 97 29 12 00 00 00 00 0C 08 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, deferred error, Segment 0

There was an error in the medium (ie the disc). 0x2 and 0x3 are the
SCSI status codes.

> Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x08 (write error - recovery failed) Fru
> 0x0 Sense flags: Blk 2266921 (valid)

It tried to recover from the write error, but that didn't work.

> cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 100s

The SCSI command finished after 0.002s (with an error).

> write track data: error after 4647258112 bytes

We wrote 4647258112 bytes and then the error occurred.

> cdrecord-prodvd: A write error occured.cdrecord-prodvd: Please
> properly read the error message above.

This message stems from Jörgs belief that all users are familiar
with the internals of CD writing and can decipher it. I've picked
up some stuff from reading this list for a long time and browsing
through the entire set of documentation for cdrecord and associated
programs to classify them for the new website, but I'm not sure
I've got it 100% correct either.

> Writing  time: 1758.609s
> Average write speed   1.9x.
> Min drive buffer fill was 93%

Some statistics about the burn.

> Fixating...
> Fixating time:    0.000s

The disc was fixated.

> cdrecord-prodvd: fifo had 73483 puts and
> 73200 gets.
> cdrecord-prodvd: fifo was 0 times empty and 15373 times full, min
> fill was 97%.

Statistics about the fifo queue between cdrecord and the drive. It
wasn't empty, so it's not a problem with your computer being too
slow to feed the drive data.

> Is it a bad media (I don't understand the message)?

Probably, yes. It could always be a firmware problem or a bug in
cdrecord, but those are both very unlikely.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key