Re: Reading a +RW on another DVD player?!?

Thank you for all advices - I went through almost all of that before writing
my original message. I could not find (yet) the one person who was able to
mount the +RW DVD on the "compatible" Ricoh, but I managed to get 3 or 4
emails back reporting the same issue as I have, which pretty much inclines
the balance in the other direction :( Probably the folks at "dvdplusrw.org"
work based on rumors ... ;(

On Friday 15 August 2003 08:44 am, Andy Polyakov wrote:
<snip>
> MP9060A is listed as DVD+RW capable at dvdplusrw.org, which means that
> at least some person managed to mount DVD+RW media in it...
<snip>

> It also discusses a *generic* incompatibility issue in the very
> beginning of "Compatibility: caveat lector" paragraph, the lead-out
> issue. Do make sure you have enough data and to 'dvd+rw-format
> -lead-out' before you attempt to play media in DVD-ROM unit. If it
> doesn't help, do try media explicitly recommended by vendor. You have
> all rights to expect that Philips media would work in Sony unit, but
> noone can actually guarantee that. It might even be bad media batch. I
> know it sounds unlike, but it actually can happen...

Tried all of the above, and had 2.2GB on that media, which should be plenty
beyond the recommended treshold ... changed also media type just yesterday,
to no avail. I guess we would need to start a "media with burner with reader
with size of files burnt and format" compatibility list, somewhere (perhaps
on the dvdplusrw.org site?!?).

In the end I think I got "burnt" (self-pun intended :)) by buying a DVD burner
for my Linux box. I am afraid it is too much of an investment now, having
bought this Sony, not to contribute to Bill's wealth, for another couple of
hundreds bucks, and get an XP license for one of my machines, and burn DVDs
with the Sony delivered software, as I already tried this alternative on a
friend's machine, and it was readable even on my dvdplusrw.org's considered
incompatible Toshiba DVD. I appreciate very much your attempts for helping me
with Linux, though.

> > but no mention about readers compatibility.
>
> See dvdplusrw.org for community maintained lists. A.

Thanks again for suggestions. I may try them.

In the end, a last "cry" for help: Where are you, the one having reported
compatibility of Ricoh MP9060A and DVD +RWs, burnt with Linux tools? Please
contact me, even off-line. Thx in advance!

Stef