Re: dvd+rw-tools update [5.11, Pioneer DVR-x06]

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:52:16PM +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
[snip]
> That requires to keep the .spec in sync with the Makefile, whereas one
> could easily make a Makefile which takes care of it (and call make
> install from the .spec). As it's trivial in this case, I'll drop this
> topic.

Packagers on Debian also really like having a PREFIX variable, since
they do not use a spec file to list files to copy over, they tend to
make install into a temp dir and package that.  It is common enough that
for programs that don't provide a PREFIX varialb,e they will write a
patch that adds support for it in (and probably grumble about the mean
programmer that didn't already supply support for it). :)

It really does aid in many packaging and installation situations.  A spec
file only helps a few people.

Len Sorensen