Re: burning with memorex 3202 3251 DVD+RW

> > for reference, i'm attempting to use the following DVD-ROM drives to
> > read the discs, in two different hosts:
> >
> > Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>
> ??? Both are apparently pure CD-ROM units, *not* capable of DVD
> playback!!! The fact that you see "ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" does *not*
> actually mean that unit is capable of DVD playback. "ATAPI Optical
> Storage drive" would probably be more appropriate message

oh geez. you are right.

ok, trivial patch sent to the linux-kernel folks to change that text.

now that THAT's cleared up, i am happy to report that with v1.51
firmware in my memorex drive, i can burn 2.4x or 4x DVD+R's, and this
memorex DVD+RW media which doesn't list a speed, all of which are
readable in DVD-ROM drives as long as i set the booktype to DVD-ROM.

andy, thanks very much for your help and software.

jeff