How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

[changed mailing list from debian-project to debian-devel because I'd regard
 it a debian-devel topic]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

I think:

   http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/a_problem_with_tools/

is a big one that deserves attention.  It's been a low-level grumble for
quite some time in various places, but it's getting louder.  It's a
difficult problem in that it's a balance between tools that make DDs more
productive and the ease of treating Debian packages in a uniform manner.

I completely agree that this topic deservers attention and thus I
would like to start a discussion here.  IMHO there is a need for putting
patches against upstream source into a defeult place.  The rationale
behind this is that if you are using VCS for your packaging to enable
effective group maintainance it makes no sense to store a complete
tarball but just the patches.  For instance in the Debian-Med project

   http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/

we agreed to store only the debian directory into SVN and have a
get-orig-source target in the debian/rules file.  To store the patches
in the debian directory and apply them later dpatch and quilt are
widely used tools and I don't know a better solution.

What would you suggest to enhance the situation?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de