Re: An experiment in backup

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a tar backup of the entire system, excluding /sys, /proc and /dev.
> I have a tar backup of a bind-mount of /dev.
> These were taken while the system was running, but quiet. I did it this
> way because I cannot get the system to boot into single user mode. Putting
> "single" on the end of the "linux" like results in a black screen.
>
> I restored these, created /sys and /proc, and tried to boot the resulting
> partition. It boots, but X does not come up, or even seem to try. I can do
> a console login to my usual account, and stuff is there.

What commands did you run to back up and restore the system?

Is '/tmp' a tmpfs filesystem? If not, did you back up and restore it?

Did you exclude '/run'? If not, did you restore it?

Did you create '/proc' and '/sys' with the right ownership and mode?

If this is a Debian system, is it a non-standard install that doesn't
use udev (AFAIK this is still possible)? If not, there's no point in
backing up and restoring '/dev'.

If this is an Ubuntu system, the default '(recovery)' grub entry will
have 'nomodeset' appended. Try that when you add 'single'.

Are you using a DM?

Are you using a WM or a DE?

Have you looked at the logs? Especially Xorg.0.log and xsessions-errors.

Can you launch X after logging in to the console?