Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

> * I know a few who love lenny with backports, so yet, we should somehow
> integrate that with the blends concept. Could there be a flag in
> debian/control in some way for anything with a compatible debhelper
> version to be auto-backported?

What do you mean by auto-backported?

binNMU style backports where a maintainer requests an auto-backport
and the backports team schedules it? That would be nice.

Include existing binary packages from testing that have their
dependencies satisfied in stable in stable-backports? Probably a waste
of time since people can already install such packages from testing on
stable and have them auto-upgraded within testing (with the right
pinning).

Automatically rebuild packages from testing that don't have their
dependencies satisfied in stable but do have their build-dependencies
satisfied? That might be useful, probably that is dependent on
integrating backports.org closer. I would wonder how many packages
would fail due to improper or missing versioning information though.

Automatically rebuild all packages from testing and teleport magical
imps from rainbow fairy land to test and fix everything?

Having d-i add backports.org to sources.list (and set good pinning)
could be another thing to look at.

> * Metaphorical speaking: we should give Debian a phone number. And I
> mean full-time or at least half-time employees. With so many people
> unemployed these days, I even feel we have the duty to think about
> creating jobs.

That is probably part of the DPL's role? Could clarify what you are
proposing here?

--
bye,
pabs