Re: dpkg: is_native version checks in dpkg 3.0 Native

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

> However, I cannot read that text to imply anything about what happens if
> the Debian revision is present:

> * Policy seems silent on whether the software MAY?SHOULD NOT/MUST NOT be
>   written explicitly for Debian (I consider this a feature)

> * Policy appears silent about whether the source and upstream source are
>   the same/need be the same

> * Policy seems very silent about whether technical mechanisms that would
>   make it difficult for the upstream source and source to differ are
>   appropriate with a debian revision present.  Clearly, if your source
>   and upstream source differ, using technical mechanisms incompatible
>   with that is nonsensical.

> I claim that 6.5.12 at least is silent on the treatment of packages that
> have a Debian revision.

Yeah, that's a good point.  And now that you bring that up, that all
sounds very familiar.  I suspect there's an open Policy bug somewhere that
makes much the same point.

We really need to create a separate Policy section that defines native and
non-native and deals with all of this directly, instead of drawing
inferences from the Version field specification.  This has been confusing
people for years; it's one of the common questions in debian-mentors.  Of
course, then we have to decide what that Policy section should say.