Re: Debian with HiDPI / 4K displays

On 10/08/15 00:17, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 09/08/15 17:02, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>> While it is possible to derive the true DPI setting from the resolution
>> and the dimension
>
> ... except for when the stated dimensions in the display's EDID are full
> of lies and claim that it is 4cm x 3cm, or 16cm x 9cm, or even 0cm x
> 0cm. See also
> <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-October/157760.html>
> and its surrounding thread - admittedly that was a few years ago. I'd be
> delighted to be proved wrong, but I suspect hardware manufacturers
> haven't got a whole lot better at this since then.

This brings a few thoughts to mind - I realize opinions may differ and
there would be some work involved in any of these:

- could there be some prompt on the first X startup or the first time a
new screen is detected, asking the user to confirm DPI or dimensions?

- could X use detected values that are in some range considered to be
sane and if some users are unhappy, encourage them to complain to the
monitor vendor?  To put this another way, isn't it better to favor those
monitors that do things correctly?

- is there any Linux recommended monitor list or would there be value in
such a list?  Correct EDID data could be a criteria for inclusion on the
list?

- could people crowdsource a database of monitor specs, maybe combined
with some setup wizard?

Some of this is obviously not Debian-specific either.  Does any other OS
keep a list of known monitor dimensions for example?

Regards,

Daniel