Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

Hello All,

There are a number of significant changes happening with the WSJT
upstream applications (WSJT, WSPR, WSPR-X and WSJT-X).

Currently, only (2) apps are in the Debian repository, both are quite
old (WSJT v9.3 and WSJT-X v1.1). WSJT is Python3 based where WSJT-X v1
is QT4 based.

Long story short, the Python3 based applications (WSJT and WSPR) are
heading into obsolescence and all Qt4 based apps have been ported /
updated to QT5.

WSJT-X (upstream devel version 1.5.0) now includes (4) primary modes:
* JT65(a)
* JT9
* JT4
* WSPR-2
* WSPR mode 15 is scheduled for inclusion as before release.

The WSPR decoder has been ported to C++ rather that Fortran, thus
eliminating all the Python2/3 NumPY issues we had in the past. I've also
created a package (kvasd-installer) which resolves the non-FOSS KVASD issue.

These modes are considered "slow" modes by the development team. The
fast modes, those used for Meteor Scatter and EME work (currently only
available in WSJT Python3 version) will be ported to the QT5 framework
in the not to distant future.

The end result will be (2) applications that contain *all* the current
WSJT modes. WSJT-X for *slow modes* and a second, yet to be named,
application that will replace WSJT *fast modes* (FSK441 and other JT65
derivatives).

While keeping tabs with the WSJT development mailing lists, WSJT-X + the
new *slow modes* should be available fairly soon (a month or less
maybe). I am not sure if this will be in time for the Jessie Point
release or not.

The impact to maintainers is all positive. Application packaging,
dependencies and KVASD issues will be *dramatically simplified*. The new
WSJT-X version has been tested on i386, amd64 and ARMv7, on all current
Debian and Ubuntu releases.

I have a build on Launchpad ( WSJTX-DEV ) that builds WSJT-X properly.
At present, it needs updating to the latest RC branch which includes the
new *slow modes*, but the goal of the package was hash out a new build
method using $(CMAKE) rather than $(MAKE)/$(QMAKE), which was, at the
last build milestone, working as expected.

As things stabilize out upstream, I'll start updating my Launchpad
package ( WSJTX-DEV )as well as the Debian Hams Alioth Git Repo. This
will also eliminate one ITP I posted for WSPR and several bugs for
existing packages.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Launchpad....: https://launchpad.net/~ki7mt
Ubuntu Hams..: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams-devel
Debian Hams..: https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-hamradio/
OpenPGP......: C177 6630 7115 78FE 9A2B 9F7F 18C0 F6B7 0DA2 F991