Re: DM application of Greg Beam

Hi Tobi,

Thank you for the feedback. I need to fix this email as my client
defaulted to my 2048R key, rather than the 4096R key I recently created
for this purpose.

See further comments below.

On 10/22/2014 05:37 PM, Tobias Frost wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.10.2014, 14:50 -0600 schrieb ki7mt:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> This is my declaration of intent to become a Debian Maintainer
>> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
>>
>> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
>> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
>>
>> Currently, I am taking over maintaining packages < wsjt, wsjtx > and
>> adding new packages < jtsdk, kvasd-installer, wspr, map65 and wsprx >.
>>
>> My GnuPG key < 0DA2F991 > is *not* signed by an Debian Developer yet,
>> due to geographical locations of DD's, but an active search has begun.
>>
>> I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer. Thanks for your attention.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Greg Beam, KI7MT
>>
> Hi Greg,
>
> It's great that you apply for becoming a Debian Maintainer.
> However, according to [1] you are new to Debian. To avoid disappointment
> -- I need indicate to you that the DM process is a little different as
> you might have imagined: You need first to do some work in Debian and
> then after a while contributing to Debian, usually when your sponsor
> suggests it to you, you will apply for DM status.

Two of the packages I mentioned < wspr and kvasd-installer >, are under
review from a DD, just a couple things left to tidy up. ITP's have been
filed or updated against both packages. The builds are clean with the
exception of a missing Debian Watch file message from Lintian. These are
New Packages so will need to go through the new package process. The
third package still needs finishing by upstream ( in this case < JTSDK
>, is myself ).

> So I suggest to read  https://www.debian.org/devel/join/ and
> maybe http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers for information how to
> get your packages sponsored. (I also usually hang there around to
> sponsor people. Don't hesitate to ping me if you have something to
> sponsor ;-)

WSJT-X and WSJT are already in Debian, but are older versions, which I'm
working on updating. Kamal Mostafa is or has volunteered to sponsor  all
4/5  packages, but I'm sure he'd welcome more assistance, as there are
allot of HamRadio packages for sure ! I believe Kamal has traditionally
been the uploader.

> It seems to me that you might be also interested in getting contact with
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHams, I'm pretty sure they will welcome
> you and also help you with your contributions. Becoming DM wil be then
> the second step. So its already a good idenea to get you key signed!

I've not joined DebianHams specifically, as Kamal has handled most of
the packages I interact with, but that's a good idea. I dropped by the
IRC channel this afternoon, was kind of quiet.

> So, please feel welcome and be encouraged to contribute to Debian.
>
> [1] http://portfolio.debian.net/result?email=ki7mt%40yahoo.com&name=Greg
> +Beam&gpgfp=&username=&nonddemail=ki7mt%
> 40yahoo.com&aliothusername=&wikihomepage=&forumsid=&mode=html&submit=Build+Debian+Member+Portfolio+URLs

Thanks for the feedback Tobi.

73's
Greg, KI7MT