Printing packaging rework 2020

Dear Till and Brian,

(I'm currently at pre-FOSDEM miniDebConf in Brussels, if any of you is around,
let's chat!)

With the blessing of driverless printing, it seems we're now in a world where
most (%-age ?) printers sold in the last (how many?) years support driverless
printing. Support is not perfect everywhere, but we've come such a long way
that, with a recent printer, on a normal network, it just "pops" in CUPS and
its interfaces, and printing "works", in mere seconds.

But the Debian packaging (task-print-server, cups, …) still installs _a lot_
of printer drivers and other related packages. Although in the past I was
convinced we needed to make sure that _all_ printer drivers should be
installed everywhere (hence the creation and usage of the printer-driver-all
meta-package), I'm getting more and more convinced that we should reverse this
course and install "just" what's needed to print driverless to a network
printer in "most" cases.

I have started laying down my plan on the Debian Wiki:
	https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Printing/2020DriverlessByDefault

I'd love to get input from you to know if:
a) that's something desireable;
b) the way I thought of it makes sense;

What are your thoughts there? Do the work directly in experimental, and
iterate until it's satisfactory?

Best regards, and thanks for your inputs!

    OdyX