Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

[ Many people are on copy, please trim the list as appropriate when you reply ]

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> These need to be discussed, since they will be a significant
> time drain (e.g. are they in the sponsors's interests?). They
> are supportable, but it will take a lot of work and sometimes
> special domain knowledge:
>
> icedove
> iceweasel
> qemu
> qemu-kvm
> xen
> libvirt
> ffmpeg -> libav
> vlc
> rails -> several split packages (only the 3.2 packages are supported in wheezy)

Nobody commented here but I believe that we should aim to support them.
Except vlc, they are all used by some of the current sponsors (even though
they are not currently supported in squeeze).

It would be good to identify Debian maintainers with the required "special
domain knowledge" for all those packages so that they can be paid to
take care of those packages when the need arises (cf
https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts-details.html#join for
details about requirement for paid contributors).

Thus putting the respective maintainers/maintainance team in copy (Mike
Hommey for iceweasel, Guido Günther for multiple package, Christop Göhre for Icedove,
Aurelien Jarno, Riku Voipio, Vagrant Cascadian for qemu, Michael Tokarev
for qemu-kvm, Guido Trotter and Bastian Blank for Xen, Laurent Léonard
for libvirt, Sebastian Ramacher and pkg-multimedia for libav/vlc).

Do you know someone from the Debian maintenance team or from the upstream
project which could be hired a few hours from time to time to provide the
required security updates on the above source packages when it gets too
complicated for the LTS contributors? Feel free to pass around this email
if you think of someone and want to inform him/her...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer