Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 07:42:41PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> Available in GNOME 3.
>
> Available in GNOME 3.
>
> Not enabled by default (if I remember correctly), but possible to enable
> using gnome-tweak-tool.

I shouldn't have to know that.  And I am pretty sure when gnome3 appeared
in sid, it wasn't available.

> Not enabled by default (if I remember correctly), but possible to enable
> using gnome-tweak-tool.

I will somewhat agree that one is hardly ever used since I just alt+tab to the other window I want.

> Available in GNOME 3.
>
> Alt+space brings up the window menu in GNOME 3.
>
> So, sounds like GNOME 3 provides/can provide everything you seem to
> expect from a window manager.

Trying to navigate the horrible menu system trying to find where to
configure things was highly unpleasant too.  It made windows 8 seem sane.

I just believe the default when you install and log in the first time
shoudl be something that makes sense to your typical average user, and I
don't think gnome3 by default does that.  It can be tweaked to do so now
(I don't think it could initially), but the typical user won't know how
to do that.  The defaults are bad.

--
Len Sorensen